As you might already know, I celebrated 1 year in business in July, and surpassed that elusive six-figure mark that most entrepreneurs strive for in their first year. Many of my friends, colleagues and clients have asked me what the secret was and my answer has always been, “There is no secret.”
However, there are many consistent right actions, and tons of lessons learned along the way. I’ve recently done a lot of reflecting on those lessons and wanted to share them with you!
So without further ado here are the 25 lessons that took me over six figures my first year in business:
- Intuition is queen. My intuition has never led me astray. Other people have… be careful which you’re listening to.
- Nothing makes up for a lack of self-trust. Nothing.
- You have to be sold on yourself FIRST.
- Magic pills, cookie-cutter systems, and one-size fits all businesses aren’t for me and they’re definitely not for my clients.
- There is no “secret” to success, but if there was… The secret would be to not believe that everyone is hiding a secret from you.
- It’s ok to be about the money. It’s ok to not be about the money.
- In fact, it’s ok to be about whatever you want to be about.
- Give before you expect to receive. As my homeboy Rumi says, “Open your hands if you want to be held.” You want engagement? Give it. You want money? Invest it. You want value? Give massive value.
- Content is the key, and relationships built off that content open the door.
- No visibility = no business
- People can’t buy if they don’t know you’re selling.
- Selling is a non-negotiable. So is doing it in a way that feels good to you.
- Service > Self
- Adaptability… in life, business, coaching, and service… is key.
- Tracking success creates more of it.
- Being grateful for success creates more of it.
- Big income months are great. Big impact months are better. Both together are best.
- Your clients will be your greatest teachers. Allow them to be and drop the ego shit at the door.
- Innovation is good for the soul, and great for business.
- Doing this entrepreneurial thing alone is the quickest way to go crazy. Get support. Seriously, it’s a non-negotiable.
- Not everyone in your life will understand your entrepreneurial journey, but the ones who do? Hold on to them extra tight.
- Nothing makes up for a lack of consistency.
- Show up daily and your business will grow daily. It’s that simple.
- You can’t just think happy thoughts and take no action. You can’t just take all the action and be a Negative Nancy. Both positivity and strategic action are crucial.
- Mindset, strategy and execution are the framework on which success that feels GOOD is built